Brendan is a lawyer with 20 years of experience and a particular focus on the property, construction and sports industries. He gives strategic and pragmatic advice to achieve the most commercial outcome for his clients.
Brendan represents clients in a variety of jurisdictions, including the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the Federal Court of Australia. Brendan also advises clients on all forms of alternative dispute resolution, including arbitrations, expert determinations and mediations.
Brendan provides advice on a range of matters such as breach of contract actions, property disputes, construction contracts, trade practices, insolvency and negligence claims.
Brendan is a member of the Institute of Arbitrators and Mediators Australia, the NSW practice committee of the Australian Institute of Architects and the Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Association. In addition to his Australian experience, Brendan spent a year in London conducting disciplinary matters for the primary financial services regulator at the time, the Financial Services Authority.
- Acting for the consultant in Supreme Court proceedings relating to the design and construction of the sheltered quay at the Australian National Maritime Museum.
- Acting on behalf of a developer in Supreme Court proceedings that considered, for the first time, the prohibition in the Home Building Act 1989 (NSW) on the lodgement of caveats.
- Acting for a contractor in a successful $1.6m claim in Supreme Court proceedings commenced under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 1999 (NSW).
- Acting on behalf of News Limited in the Super League litigation against the ARL and NSWRL, as well as on behalf of various players in related contract proceedings in the Supreme Court and the Industrial Relations Court.
- Acting on behalf of the club and its directors in proceedings arising out of the disputed management of the Sydney Olympic Football Club.
- Acting for a party in Court of Appeal proceedings considering the validity of the approval and operation of DFO Homebush.
- Acting for a party in the HIH Royal Commission.